Wednesday, August 19, 2009

ash wednesday


Today's NIV Scripture Verses on GOSHEN-- The last sentence in the prayer for today really spoke to my heart--"Please receive my actions, words, and thoughts today as an offering of praise to you." That really made me stop and think.

It reminded me of a day a few years ago when I was teaching at a Catholic school. Of course, we had mass for the students once a week and I was expected to go. Not being a member of the Catholic church myself, I could not partake of communion. However, when Easter arrived, I was encouraged to go forward to receive the sign of the cross in ashes on my forehead. Most of my Catholic teacher friends had received this cross every Ash Wednesday for most of their lives and did not think much about it.

For me, however, it was a very emotional time. I cried off and on all day. It was such a privilege for me to wear this symbol of our salvation. I actually was advertising that I was a follower of Jesus Christ. I might as well have had a billboard attached to my head. I couldn't personally rub it off for I felt that would almost be like denying my relationship with the Creator of the universe. So, everywhere I went that afternoon after school, I watched every word I spoke and every action I took.

When I read this prayer today. I once again thought how important it is that our words, actions and thoughts reflect Jesus' holiness.

"Lord, I want all of my actions to be a blessing to you today and worthy to be lifted up as an offering of praise to you."
dianne signature