Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Butterflies Don't Live in Here, In the Ghetto

Photobucket



The following poem was written by one of my 7th grade students after being introduced to the book and poem I NEVER SAW ANOTHER BUTTERFLY. This book was used as an introduction to teach students about The Holocaust. If you are interested in learning more about the book and the children's camp, Terezin, you may follow the link.

The students amazed me with their depth of feeling expressed in their creative writings.

my sweet butterfly

there are a million butterflies flying
across the sky,
but not one will equal you,
my sweet butterfly. . . .


not one could equal your smile,
that was lost before the end,
so lost that you'd think it never came. . . .
not one could equal when you'd frolic and play--
the laughter
that came from you and your friends--
that will never be seen or heard again

the littlest, last piece of child in your heart,
that is gone, left behind from that day--


and though i wish you were here,
i know my dear,
that you are in a better place, somewhere--

yet, wherever you are
I know
that you are still in my heart,
where you will stay, forever more. . . .
there are a million butterflies flying across the sky,
but not one will equal you,
my sweet butterfly


poem by Asia

dianne signature