Saturday, August 1, 2009

my greatest possessions

Photobucket


Photobucket

Not an overabundance of earthly wealth and goods in either of our families.

However, when our parents passed, there were certain items that I thought I would die if I didn't get.

The Christmas compact was one of them--a gift from my father-in-law to my mother-in-law long before I knew them--circa early 1940's I think. Notice the tiny jingle bells on it. And one is missing. I can help but think of Chris VanAlsberg's The Polar Express when I look at it. And of course I think of "the first gift of Christmas."

The small heavy glass globe to the right was a gift to my parents from my aunt Jessie in the early 1940's and I don't remember one day of my life when it was not present.

As the years went by after our parents passed, I learned that these small things do not bind their memories to us--they just make us take pause to remember them a little more often. Thank God for these small heirlooms.